Our one-day RYA first aid course covers all the usual first aid subjects, but from a boating perspective. It is aimed at anyone who goes afloat, whether on inland waters, rivers, estuaries or on cross channel passages.
In a medical emergency a little first aid knowledge and immediate action can save lives, especially in remote locations. This one-day course is designed to provide a working knowledge of first aid for people using small craft and to support skippers.
It fulfils the requirements for:
- Professional skippers of small craft working within 60 miles of a safe haven, including Boat masters;
- RYA Sailing, Windsurfing, Powerboat Instructors and safety boat drivers.
- The Senior First Aid certificate needed by offshore racers subject to ISAF's regulations on first aid training (OSR 4.08.4).
- The course is recommended by the MCA and HSE.
The subjects specific to boating include:
- The recovery position in a confined space
- CPR, including the drowning protocol
- Cold shock and hypothermia from immersion and/or exposure seasickness and dehydration
- Medical assistance or advice by VHF
- Helicopter rescue
You can book single places on the RYA First Aid course below, however we are able to offer discounts for group bookings.
East Boldre Village Hall SO42 7WD
30 June 2023
14 July 2023
15 September 2023
13 October 2023
10 November 2023
8 December 2023
Courses run from 0900-1700
- 2-6 people - £60 per person
- 7-12 people - £50 per person
To enquire about group bookings drop us a line and we’ll be very happy to help. Please call: 01590 612509 or send an email to: email@example.com
View Course Syllabus
- Assessment, immediate actions and the priorities within first aid.
- Unconsciousness and the recovery position
- Failure of the circulation: shock
- Blood loss and the control of bleeding
- Recognition of internal bleeding
- Angina and heart attack.
- Levels of response and the AVPU scale.
- Head injury: concussion and compression.
- Immersion hypothermia and cold shock
- Burns, including sunburn.
- Exposure hypothermia/hyperthermia
- Seasickness and dehydration
- Diabetic emergency.
- Fractures, including spinal injuries
- First aid kits
- Advice or assistance by radio
- Medivac…..the evacuation of a casualty by helicopter.
- For the skippers of MCA coded boats:
- The contents and use of the category C first aid kit, including the pocket mask.
Book Single Places
If you have more to ask, are looking for a bespoke option, or if there isn’t a date that quite suits you, drop us a line and we’ll see what we can do - we can often schedule an open session to suit you in a location of your choice. Please call: 01590 612509 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
By booking your place you are agreeing to our terms and conditions.